Friday, August 27, 2010

East of Eden: The Great Unknown

I got hooked by Steinbeck's East of Eden a few years back, and my obsession brought me to see both the movie and the television series. After being dissapointed by the award winning movie, I was told by a neighbor that in the early 80's there was a mini-series that I should look into. After searching for a while to find it online, I resorted to buying it on VHS via ebay. This was a bit over a year ago, but i just re-watched it and was as impressed by it as the first time around.

The story-line is a modern day retelling of the story of Cain and Abel, as well as the search of Adam Trask (played by Timothy Bottoms) to find the meaning behind the hebrew word "timshal." Although the latter point is not established in depth by the series, avid readers would appreciate that it was the last word of the show. The heart of the book was definitely shown (which was my complaint against the movie, it barely touched the depth of the book).

For any movie buffs, one of the main actresses, Karen Allen who played Abra, was also the female lead in the first Indiana Jones movie. The other well known name, Jane Seymour, played the evil mother Cathy.

When I bring this series up in conversation nobody has heard of it. Have any of my readers indulged in this series? I would highly recommend it, and if you can't find it online, I'll lend it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment