Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Larsson's Three Book Letter to the Govornment


“Dear Government... I'm going to have a serious talk with you if I ever find anyone to talk to.”

Turning pages Saturday night, I was unable to put my book down until the last page was read. For the last two weeks I have been reading through “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” series, and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

The translation from Swedish to English was well done, so much so that many who I have spoken to did not believe me.  Steig Larsson brilliantly wove together many storylines to create this thrill ride. There is action, retribution, murder, mystery.

The first book, “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” is by far the best. The overarching plot is a 40-year-old mystery. I do feel obligated to warn readers that it is not for the sensitive at heart. The book is full of intrigues, but also contains very violent scenes including rape.

The next two books are more about the social injustices committed against Lisbeth Salander, the most fascinating character I have met as of yet. These are much less sexually graphic, although the plot revolves around the Swedish sex trade.

The ideas that Larsson brings up are regarding political honesty, and how many individuals are forced to suffer due to the lack of justice. Americans can relate to this. The poor condition of our child services leaves much to be desired. There is often no retribution for victims of sexual abuse due to the statute of limitations in many states. Police often abuse their power. Many who try to defend themselves are found guilty of assault and battery. 

There is something very appealing about the way Lisbeth Salander defends herself and does what she thinks is right despite the legal system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment